What support is available for Social Work students?

What pastoral support is available to social work students

You’ll have a personal tutor, and UEL and London Met have extensive counselling and mentoring provision. Being at University is about having fun, too. Find out more about our Student Unions: https://www.uelunion.org &  https://www.londonmetsu.org.uk

What academic support is available to social work students?

Your university academics are all qualified social workers and will be there to provide you with high-quality academic support and teaching throughout your programme. You will also be supported by a practice educator when on placement.

What career support is available to social work students?

Universities will support you to produce CVs and operate mock assessment centres and interview training so that you can prepare to get your first job in Social Work. Social Work staff from the NELTP (Havering, Barking and Dagenham, Tower Hamlets, Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest) are involved in supporting the universities in preparing students.

How do I find information about job opportunities for graduates

Check the links to the following local authority websites: Havering, Barking and Dagenham, Tower Hamlets, Newham, Redbridge, and Waltham Forest.

How will I be supported on my placements

As part of your programme you will have a 70 day and a 100 day placement. this maybe in a statutory setting (local authority) or with a private, voluntary, independant sector (PVI) setting. you will be supported by your superviser, practice educator as well as university staff. Some Local Authorities also provide student support and reflective practice group sessions. Please check this with your Learning and Development Team.

Students Perspective on how to manage your Practice Placement

Please see Student Tips and Resource List.

Student tips